Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My very first Napoleonics

These are some Perry British miniatures for the Peninsular campaign. They are of the plastic persuasion and I simply love their quality and price. I've finally decided that I will field them as the 1st Royal Scots Foot Regiment and so I will need to add the number onto their packs at some point.

The older guy shouting, is carrying a French kit... Not sure if this is historically correct, but it is a Sharpe quote I couldn't resist for my first napoleonics ever.

The house is scratch built and influenced as well as inspired by the amazing Spanish town and table by the famous Lt. Hazel of the Sweetwater, Lead Adventure and Steve Dean Fora (Check out his blog here).

Do click on the pictures to have a better look.

Cheers!

11 comments:

EinarOlafson said...

Outstanding painted miniatures!! I believe taht Perry Plastic miniatures are fantastic.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Yes,I really like what your doing and like I told you I think you have done an excellent job on the weathering.

The Doc said...

Thank you for the first comments on this blog. :)

The second base is ready to be photographed for some time now... Hopefully I'll be on it this weekend.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Your models look wonderful,but painting one base at a time will keep your production rate down.Have you thought about painting up 1 regiment at a time?It's only a suggestion as you need to do what makes you comfortable.I'm looking forward to your next base.

The Doc said...

You are right, but my problem is my lack of a true painting area. I only have limited space for a limited amount and I have to be able to remove my miniatures from my workspace on a regular bases. I hope that I'll be moving in with my british beauty at some point soon (wherever that may be) and then I'll mark my little spot. :)

saxon dog said...

Painting figures to the standard you are doing takes time. I also have limited painting time, at best I can get an hour a night. Recently I needed to drop my painting standard to get a few hundred figures ready for demo games. After seeing the quality work here I wonder if I made the right decision… Would I rather have a couple of hundred figures painted or a couple of units painted to my best standard? I’m now thinking a couple of units. All the best with this project and I will keep visiting for inspiration!

David
Mr Dog to Christopher!

The Doc said...

Hey David.

Thank you for your kind words. You are as much inspirational to me, man. Your Saxon are amazing and they are tempting me to enter the Dark Ages. :)

I had the same dilemma some time ago. I decided to do both. My WWII are dipped miniatures that take about 30 minutes a piece. Napoleonics just look so colourful... I had to give them a different treatment.

Cheers,

Dimitri

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Hello Dog and Doc,

My solution was scale.I decided to keep the standard high at 25/28mm where I have trouble accepting less and use my 15mm range to produce armies using the quick, but decent black shade method where painting to a high standard isn't necessary and in fact unless your trying to make exhibitions is a waste of time.

Secundus said...

Hello, I love the touch with the French pack and the weathering you have achieved is amazing, Secundus.

I have been thinking about buying some Perrys and I must say after seeing your painting I just might make the leap, thanks again.

Peter said...

Hi Dimitri

I think you're taking the right approach and painting these figures as well as you can. I think Perry figures deserve nothing less and I really like your bright style on these.

I'm painting Arthurians at the moment and have resisted paint dipping, Army Painter and other fast techniques as I want this army to look good. At the end of the day I (hopefully) will be wargaming for many many years so I don't really care how long it takes to get the figures completed.

Keep up the posts, I look forward to seeing more of your figures.

P.S. How did you do the excellent weathering?

Cheers,
Peter (a.k.a Yorkshire_Pud)

The Doc said...

Hey Peter.

Thank you for your kind words. And yes, some eras and armies deserve a clean, conventional layer of paint. :)

The weathering on the trousers is nothing special, to be honest. I just use the colour for the last drybrush layer for the base, Desert Yellow, and dilute it very strongly. I apply a bit on the trouser ends and the with a wet brush I move it around and dilute it on the miniature even more. I am a bit afraid of weathering too strongly, so loads of water (or Golden Acrylics Thinner in one or two occasions) is essential. I hope that explains my "technique".