I have been poorly most of the week and therefore I tried to paint a bit while I felt like it. This is the result. Again... not my best work. The faces feel rushed and the sheen on the blue shirts is annoying. I don't know what it is, but I am suspecting my new Humbrol Gloss Cote. I didn't buy the usual Nr 35 in a tin pot, but rather the 28ml bottle. I think they are supposed to be the same product, but strangely only the miniatures gloss coated from the bottle seem to have a problem with my matte varnish. Maybe 6 hours of drying time for the gloss cote is not enough even if the bottle says so. Anyway... I'll give it today to dry some more and will give the shirts another coat at night.
By the way... This is my first historic heavy weapon. :)
Here it is:



10 comments:
These are just great and I really like viewing projects not often seen.Your heavy weapon worked out just fine Doc as do all your miniatures.Love the shirt flaps on the sailors as the white line was very nicely done.
Cheers
Christopher
Thanks Christopher.
Maybe I am being a bit to harsh here. Not entirely healthy yet. :D
But that light sheen reeeeeally annoys me. :) What do you use for your matt varnishing?
EDIT: What I do like a lot is the way the gunner looks slightly over the shield of the Maxim with a slightly strained look. :)
Nice work! I can´t see any sheen on the pis, don´t worry mate! Keep ém Coming. Und gute Besserung!
Danke, Jan! :)
Well, I can see the sheen, cause I know it's there. :D I guess the colours of the jacket don't really help either.
You want to leave a gloss varnish for 24 hours to dry, I'd say. Re Matt varnish, are you using Dullcote?
Cheers Simon
Hey Simon. I am using the Soluble Matt Varnish by Daler-Rowney. It's really good, especially if you remove some of the clear fluid. That enhances the matt look. It has no trouble removing the shine of the Army Painter dip, so I am unsure what is going on here. Maybe you are right and I have been too impatient.
Dullcote is very aggressive; if I was to put it on top of gloss after only 6 hours of drying, it'd strip the varnish (and paint beneath) away!
Pretty matt, though. :-)
Well, thank the Gods we don't get that toxic stuff here in Germany! :)
Lovely work Doc. Just love the maxim with crew.
Cheers,
Helen
Thank you for commenting, Helen. It's great to hear the opinion of a great active painter and modern military history connoisseur.:)
Post a Comment