Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Even more Sailors?

Surely not! What is happening to my personal best of one miniature a month? :D As you can see I painted another three of these fellas. Sadly not as many as I wanted them to be, but last week was a killer at work. So I kept myself busy with some barrels (some you can see on the top picture) from the magical hands of Elladan, a pile of wood from a shop called Rustyrail (http://www.rustyrail.com/  Beautiful stuff for a good price. The car wrecks are quite a good fit... Maybe a bit on the large side, but still very good) and some wicker fences from Daemonscape on Ebay. And then on Sunday I started these three. The blue is still a bit shiny, but I think it also has to do with the nature of the dark colours on a flat surface. The blockhouse is a Pegasus Izba by the way.

And here is a group shot. As you can see I've added the ship's name on the cap. Lt. Hazel just pushed the right buttons and I tried it (he just told me to do it, basically. :D )


Well, it seems I'll have my troop ready relatively fast (by my standards).

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

Lt.Hazel said...

Hi Dimi,
as I said before: Your stuff is stunning, good that you increase your painting-speed!
And it´s always nice to have well painted scenery. The Elladan and Pegasus stuff is so coll!
Cheers Jan

Anonymous said...

Really lovely brushwork.

I've noticed that your flesh application is very good. I find mine can be up and down. Do you have a suggestion that you can offer to a novice painter who is trying to find the right path? Ta muchly.

Cheers,

Helen

The Doc said...

Well, from novice painter to novice painter... I use a simple collection of GW paints and one foundry. I start with Foundry Dusky Flesh 6b (I've used GW Bestial Brown and GW Terracotta instead before). Then I make the first highlight with GW Dwarf Flesh (DF) and and a further highlight using GW DF mixed 1:1 with GW Elf Flesh. The final highlight (nose tip for example) is with Elf Flesh (EF). Rarely do I use another highlight with EF and white.

Sometimes, if I don't like the final result that much, I will give the fleshy bits a glaze with the DF and EF mixture using a acrylic thinner. At the moment I got the Open Thinner by Golden, but any Glaze Medium or Thinner will do I guess. No expert here. Just trial and error advances. :)

Now this might be a bit over the top, but I want the faces on these to be painted with a bit more care. I find that a miniature with a good looking face, can allow itself to be a bit sloppier in other areas. The rest of the miniatures is painted mainly by using the GW washes, so rather a swift paint-job. At least for my standards. :)

Hope that helps? A good suggestion can also be found on Sire Godefroy's blog: http://lead-mountain.blogspot.com/2009/03/awi-tutorial-on-hessians.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you Doc for your thoughts on painting flesh.

Dusky Flesh is interesting. I suppose this is a strong base colour in which the other colours stand out!

Cheers and thanks,

Helen

The Doc said...

You are very welcome. By the way... there is also this link with many recipes:

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/walk/blackfly/flesh6.html

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Super stuff Doc!I always enjoy viewing your work.

Cheers
Christopher