I'm not dead! :)
It's been a while again since I've actually posted something. Apologies for that, but life was getting a bit in the way lately... and with life I mean job! Humpf! I guess I should look at it as a necessary evil that enables me to buy paints, brushes and miniatures.
I'm still working on Saxons and Post Apocalyptic fighters at the moment, but I am miles from being ready with any of them. In the meantime I decided to give the "Army Painter Dip & 1 Highlight" technique another go (Great examples of that can be found in the Saxon Dog (plus a tutorial somewhere in there) and Bunker Hill blogs). Now, don't understand this the wrong way, I am not planing a Norman army... This fella was just close by at the time. I just wanted to see if I could paint a miniature using this technique, creating a result I can live with in a time-frame that is realistic for a non-skirmish game. And I must say, that I am quite pleased with him. Even the skin is very satisfactory. And of course I haven't painted any eyes! That would defeat the whole point. :) Still... an army of similarly painted guys, with leaders painted in the usual standard, might look quite swell on a table.
The colours are not a coincidence tho! With the arrival Waterloo by Warhammer Historicals, we might finally have a set of rules that could revive our Napoleonic interest, which not even Black Powder managed to stirr. While I am very pleased with the few Napo chaps I've painted this far, I know that painting them to that standard will never get me close to a small army. This painting technique on the other hand might improve my chances greatly! :) That is a venture for the far future though... Still... Be prepared is the motto of the year. ;)
That's it for now from me. See you around soon. Just make sure to paint something for me to feel guilty about (Christopher off Bunker Hill sure is doing his part with his El Cid army! Go check it out if you haven't yet.).
It's been a while again since I've actually posted something. Apologies for that, but life was getting a bit in the way lately... and with life I mean job! Humpf! I guess I should look at it as a necessary evil that enables me to buy paints, brushes and miniatures.
I'm still working on Saxons and Post Apocalyptic fighters at the moment, but I am miles from being ready with any of them. In the meantime I decided to give the "Army Painter Dip & 1 Highlight" technique another go (Great examples of that can be found in the Saxon Dog (plus a tutorial somewhere in there) and Bunker Hill blogs). Now, don't understand this the wrong way, I am not planing a Norman army... This fella was just close by at the time. I just wanted to see if I could paint a miniature using this technique, creating a result I can live with in a time-frame that is realistic for a non-skirmish game. And I must say, that I am quite pleased with him. Even the skin is very satisfactory. And of course I haven't painted any eyes! That would defeat the whole point. :) Still... an army of similarly painted guys, with leaders painted in the usual standard, might look quite swell on a table.
The colours are not a coincidence tho! With the arrival Waterloo by Warhammer Historicals, we might finally have a set of rules that could revive our Napoleonic interest, which not even Black Powder managed to stirr. While I am very pleased with the few Napo chaps I've painted this far, I know that painting them to that standard will never get me close to a small army. This painting technique on the other hand might improve my chances greatly! :) That is a venture for the far future though... Still... Be prepared is the motto of the year. ;)
That's it for now from me. See you around soon. Just make sure to paint something for me to feel guilty about (Christopher off Bunker Hill sure is doing his part with his El Cid army! Go check it out if you haven't yet.).

4 comments:
That technique worked out really well -- that looks great.
He looks really cool Dimi!
Cheers
Ja
Great job! What is more, surprisingly I do believe that you dipped this miniature. But just so. ;-)
Now, get a bunch of figures out and do them all at once this way. That's where the technique comes into its own and also what you really need to get used to. If you can achieve the same level as with this Norman warrior on, say, 20+ figures without losing steam, you'll get my earnest applaud! That said, you'll get it anyway for taking the effort. :-D
Cheers
SG
Thanks for the very kind plug Doc!
The figure looks awesome and if you decide to do an army of them or Naps as you suggested to that standard then it will look fantastic!
Christopher
Post a Comment