Sunday, August 22, 2010

Warm up exercises with commandos.

Started painting again and in order to warm up my eyes and brush hand and also to finally move on with my projects, I painted some Commandos. My Commandos have been up till now and will continue to be dipped. Yet, with the wonderful technique presented by SaxonDog (if you don't know his blog, look on the right hand side of mine and find the link! It's a must-visit!), one may have the best of both worlds. So, these were painted with their base coats, the Army Painter dip was applied like a glaze with the brush and then, a day later, highlights were applied. I wanted to have finished some more of these guys, but my new job is draining my will to live and paint. ;)

With this technique, each figure take me about 1,5-2 hours in total... I am a slow painter anyway, so that is perfect for me.

4 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Those look fantastic!I see you have even added eyes as well to the dipped process.With the eyes and layers of highlights added it no longer looks dipped at all,but rather a fully painted miniature.I'd say you have taken the highlights further then Imrie even has.I don't see the time saver in 2 hours a mini,but if it speeds it up for you then wonderful.Anyways,the end result is a super looking mini!

Cheers
Christopher

The Doc said...

Hey Christopher. Thank you for your kind comments. I thought Imrie does pretty much the same although it is difficult to judge some times as his pictures are rather small. I guess 2 hours is still long, but I watch films and listen to the radio (Monday on BBC4 around 19:30 during Just a minute is my favorite time to paint) and get distracted all the time. So it is difficult to track the real time. :) Also these fellows are for a skirmish system, so I guess they are worth it! :)

Still, the dip completely substitutes an entire layer on all colours. That is really helpful. The eyes I do after the dipping. Should the whole thing go wrong you can carefully remove the paint with some water. :)

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Hi Doc,
I think Imrie timed himself in at around 45min or so a miniature when using his dip method if I remember correctly.
In my opinion 2 hours for a dipped miniature is too long.If I need to spend longer then 40min(cavalry and chariots excluded)on a miniature then I'll just paint it normally as I view dipping as a time saver and not a replacement of normal painting.
However,if your happy with time in and results then that's all that matters as you have to paint it!(razz)
Time per inf 28mm mini runs something like this for me:
Dipped-30 to 40 min.
non-dipped-2 to 3 hours
non-dipped camo-4 to 6 hours
Like you I've never timed myself,but that's a rough outline.
Regardless Doc,your miniatures look superb and these are no exception!

Cheers
Christopher

The Doc said...

Yeah, I am quite happy with these and as you said, that is all that matters. Still... you got me all curious now. Thinking about it makes me even more uncertain of the true time. With the next one I think I will try to time the paintjob. :) Let's see what the result will be.