Please forgive the rather bad photos... somehow the miniature is too dark and I don't know how to deal with that yet.
I am posting a comparison photos of a Greek painted more than a year ago and dipped, but with the old Army Painter recipe.
As you can see, Tiger Miniatures have some... well... aesthetic issues. For one thing, the looks are not consistent. I like the right guy much much better than the left. Their biggest problems are their hands and neck areas tho, but still... they are the only WWI Greeks around and alone for that, Tiger Miniatures deserve a lot of praise.
Any criticism is more than welcome, so please criticise away!


11 comments:
I'm incredibly jealous Doc. I wish I could paint like you, even when trying to be simple and use army painter!
They look very nice.:-)I notice your highlighting the rifle stocks as well as the uniform.I also see your painting in the eyes.Are you doing some black lining as well?Are you saving that much time over your normal method?
I've run into a few roadblocks myself with the Trojans.Some areas I'll cut corners,but after dipping I've noticed other areas I will not.White for example cannot be left without a highlight or it looks very dirty.
Cheers
Christopher
I like your greeks! Your painting makes the Tiger minis look good. Tiger got some nice Ranges, but I really don´t like their minis. I would be happy with a better sculpted range of WW1 "south-east-european" armies.
Hey... thank you so much for your kind words.
@Consul
I am flattered and I thank you for your exaggeration. :) Yet, I have to say that I am impressed by your armies, so you have nothing to be envious about.
@Christopher
No blacklining whatsoever. The rifle was painted with... erm... Red Leather or something similar by Vallejo, then dipped with the rest of the miniature and then highlighted by a mixture of the base colour with some medium flesh by Vallejo.
The eyes were just painted black before the dip. After dipping I added the white dots. The good thing is that if you do it wrong you can remove the white with a wet brush.
When will you show us your tries?
@Hazel
Thank you. I only bought some Greeks because of my connection to Greece. I wanted to own something of them in case the range got discontinued and I then found to regret it. I've always regretted that I never got around to buying some miniatures by Spryros, before he sadly left us.
Still, I do wish someone else, or another sculptor would do some Greeks, either for WWI or WWII...
Very soon Doc,I'm in the process of doing the bases and completing the movement tray.I'm also doing a ground base for photos as I don't have one in the color I'm doing for the Trojans.
Cheers
Christopher
My 'armies'! If only I could all them that.
I'll be trying really hard with my early 20th century figures and using a similar technique to you rather than the straight forward dipping technique. How big a brush do you use?
Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to have full page comments, only so that we can select to receive email notifications about post replies? It's a bit of a pain to have to manually check for replies!
Thanks, Consul.
Hey Consul... Is that better? Did you mean this? I have to admit, that I don't know my way around the blogger that well yet.
I use many brushes, but for this guy it was a Da Vinci Nr. 2 and a W&N Series 7 Nr. 0, which is my absolute favorite.
Started priming the rest of the force... I've lost too much time again.
Yes, that's perfect!
Thanks Doc.
p.s. I'm really forging ahead on my Romans so hopefully you'll be able to see some more photos of progress in the new year plus my more recent attempts at using the AP
You have got so great results from using the dip, I have some British to finish for my own Platoon and might try the dip on them. I can clearly see from yours that it works a treat, cheers for the tips.
Absolutly beautiful painting great detail awesome work
Hi Doc P
I've just read about your dipping experience and the terrific results you've gotten. I've just tried it for the first time myself and like what it does. I think the combo of a bit of highlighting and painted(?) on dip rather than the full monty may be the way to go? Certainly with the 'strong' tone anyway. I note BRB's comment about walnut wood stain (@ 1% of the price!) achieving the same effect - I had wondered about that since the dipper came out.
Love your painting - the dip makes it look even better!
Cheers,
the other 'Doc'
http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment