Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I am still alive

Dear friends...

in case you are wondering, I am still alive and still trying to paint. Sadly with my new work, my time has shrunk considerably and on top of that I am having varnish problems... again. I managed to actually finish two miniatures these last two days and even gloss coated them. After giving them a Purity Seal coat though, the paint started cracking or nearly dissolving... I didn't know what caused this, until I remembered that I had added some thinner to the gloss coat (Humbrol). I am guessing this is the reason and somehow the Purity Seal re-activates or reacts with the extra thinner. Or the extra thinner prevents the gloss coat to dry in 24 hours and it wasn't dry yet when I painted it. No matter what the reason, I am cursing this cosmic injustice! With the amount of painting I do at the moment, every miniature is worth so much more to me.

*shakes fist into the air and goes to bed*

5 comments:

BigRedBat said...

How frustrating! I hate it when a nice mini is spoilt, you have my sympathy. Simon

Anonymous said...

Keep up your spirits. We are all with you.

Cheers,

Helen

Sire Godefroy said...

I feel your pain, too, since I've experienced the very same problems again and again. In your case it's even worse, as we all know that each of your miniatures is a little piece of art!

But don't let yourself get bogged down by such incidents. Perhaps you should spare the ones painted and let Lt. Hazel do the job. He's varnished the Argonauts all at once for me, and I'm as happy as one could be with the outcome. ;-)

Cheers
SG

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Terrible for that to happen. You have my sympathy.

Cheers
Christopher

The Doc said...

Thank you, gal and guys! :)

Sire, don't know if what I've ruined were pieces of art, but they were pieces of painstakingly slow painting and that was the major problem. :) Thank you for the kind words anyhow.

Well, I'd send them to Jan to varnish, but I'm sure that with my luck I'd lose them in the post. I've just ordered some new Humbrol varnish and I hope I won't have any troubles with it. I'll definitely do some more tests with it before varnishing anything valuable again. :)

I am painting right now! YAY!